Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing issue?

If I have a two node Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Failover cluster that needs to support 200 users, do I need to purchase 400 Client Access Licenses (200 for each node in the cluster), or do I only need to purchase 200 total?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Iain May 7 '12 at 5:56

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 2 down vote accepted

I'll delete this if I'm wrong (I'm not a licensing expert), but in my experiences Per User licenses are just that - per user. If you have 200 users, you'll need 200 licenses.

share|improve this answer
@Farseeker you are dead on. CALs are per named user or per named device and are not tied to the server at all. – mrdenny Aug 11 '09 at 1:48