We had a 2003 SP2 Web/SQL Server VM running on a hosts hardware. The hosting company became unresponsive so we decided to move the VM. So far I have done the following:
- I used disk2vhd to create a vhd of the running VM.
- I downloaded the vhd to my local computer and started it using Virtual PC.I then ran sysprep.
- I ordered a Windows 2012 Standard dedicated server with one dedicated IP address.
- I added the Hyper-V role, and set up an External switch under the Virtual Switch Manager.
- I copied the VHD to the server and created a new VM, which booted fine.
- I installed the integration services.
Now, when I start and connect to the VM I have a warning on the network adapter. The Status shows "...the network did not assign an network address to the computer"
When I look at Details...
Physical Address (a mac address) IP Address 169.254.107.25 Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway (blank) DNS Server (blank) WINS Server (blank)
Dammit Jim, I'm a developer, not a server admin! Anyway, I'm obviously missing something in the configuration but most of what I've found on the web just says to set up the External switch and you're good which isn't the case here.
I can buy an additional IP if it helps. Ultimately we'll be running SQL and IIS off the 2003 VM, so I need to make sure I have everything set up so I can point the domain name to the VM and connect to the VM via RDP and SSMS. Maybe there's some forwarding or something that I have to configure once I get the network adapter sorted out?