We have many sites world-widely, in which a Linux server (tftp, PXE, nfs, dhcp service, http enabled) is used to deploy Linux clients automatically unattended. Now we have a needs to deploy Windows 7 clients. How to do that?
I have some thoughts, and a lot of questions.
- we intend to use existing Linux server, new tools may install to support the deployment. but no intention to set up a new deployment server
- because we strictly restrict the hardware type (cpu, disk, network card, video card, and monitor), so I think it will be easy to create a image (disk image?) file and clone to hard disk in remote client.
- now the problem is, which best tool to create the windows image and write to disk after remote client boot up into Linux from PXE?
- how to make the image size minimized?
- After disk image written, remote client will reboot and boot into windows 7. Is there a way to let ti get the ip address (dhcp?) and automatically retrieve some scripts from Linux server (http, nfs, or samba) to and run these scripts to extra jobs?
Need your helps. Thank you very much!