2-weeks ago one of our web servers CPU Usage started bottle-necking lot at 100% for long periods of time when an application runs and requests "sqlserver.exe"..When this app runs and does its integration (~5-mins) the CPU shoots up and locks the webpage.
- Qquest Software Clock Server Version 184.108.40.206
- The off-the-shelf unsupported version app database is on the same partition as the OS and Sql Server (DB size 17.19 MB and 0.78 MB Free)
- SQL Server version 8.0
- MS Server 2003 SP 2 ( 51.01 GB Capacity, 3.34 GB Free)
- 1536 MB in memory
- 3.00 GHz Intel Xeon X5365
What I've done so far....
- Just added a extra processor to the server ( it now has 2 CPU's )
- Just added extra memory ( it now has 192.84 MB)
- And yes, did a reboot
Could so little free space be my problem with out shutting down the server and moving the app to a new home?
Seems like the problem stopped after the upgrade, but throwing hardware at the problem is not the answer for bad system architecture.
So I guess the new question is now; how to isolate problem applications from using all of your system resources?