I have been working on configuring a network bootable virus removal suite, and I am using the Windows Defender WinPE iso generated from using this 64-bit tool. The tool downloads and creates an ISO for you. I extract the ISO in order to get the source boot.wim file and I make the following edits with the DISM tool:
- Mount the WIM file locally using DISM
- Remove bootfix.bin file (Removes "Press Any Key to Boot from CD/DVD.." message)
- Drop two files, mpam-fex64.exe & FilesList64.dll into the root of the wim file (Most current definitions at time of downloading)
- Add generic networking drivers to allow older machines to get a DHCP address
- Commit changes to WIM file and unmount it
Once all that is done, I transfer the boot.wim file to my Windows Deployment Server and add it as a boot image. Clients are now able to boot into the environment, here is the process:
Client Network Boot > DHCP Request > PXE Boot Screen > Windows Deployment Services > Virus Removal Environment
Once the client machine is booted into this environment, you can scan your computer or update the virus definitions, but any time I try to update the definitions, it fails due to a network error and gives me the error code
Things I have tried:
- Putting Client machine on an outside VLAN (results in
ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renewwhile in the environment
- Disabling the firewall via command line while in the environment
- Giving the program / user accounts involved write access to the WDS Server
- I wrote a script that automatically downloaded new updates, injected them into the image, and re-uploaded it to the server. But for whatever reason, each time this would occur it would fatten the WinSxS folder by ~80mb, so this quickly grew to an unreasonable size.
Any research of the two error codes given has been somewhat unsuccessful, they seem to be more of general windows update / networking errors. Unless someone is seeing something I didn't.
So with all of that given information, my question is: Why is my Network Bootable WDO environment not able to update?
Any insight is appreciated, let me know if you need additional information