Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an Avaya 4524GT routing switch, which has some fibre ports and some ordinary ethernet ports. I want to internally bridge one particular ethernet port to one particular fibre port, so that the device effectively works as a fibre to ether adapter. How does one do this?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You connect both circuits, ensure that thy are linked up properly, then put them in the same VLAN.

Responding to your comment below, this is something that a switch does not do. It actually sounds like all you want is a media converter, which can be had for very cheap.

share|improve this answer
The question was how to do this. I want to tell the switch "unconditionally send everything that's coming in on wire 24 to wire 17, and vice versa". – Prateek Jan 16 '14 at 13:33
Please see my edit above. – EEAA Jan 16 '14 at 14:54
It says it's a routing switch, so I thought this might be possible. I am rather new to all this. Yeah buying a media converter is a possibility too, but we were wondering if could use what we already have. Thanks, anyway! – Prateek Jan 16 '14 at 15:57
You probably ought to do some reading up on basic networking. Routing, switching, and bridging (basically what the media converter does) are three very distinct technologies, with different use cases. – EEAA Jan 16 '14 at 16:19
I agree, I really should. As a math guy I quite like to have a good conceptual understanding of what I'm working with (which I'm clearly lacking here) instead of just groping in the dark and tweaking configuration files till it appears to work. :-) – Prateek Jan 16 '14 at 16:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.