I tried installing the latest version of XAMPP as a simple testing platform to demo PHP on before moving to our production server. I set up a couple of virtual hosts for convenience, but they invariably throw 403 at me.
I have recursively chown'd the directories, I have declared the domains in the
hosts file, I have checked for 755/777 permissions, I have adjusted the apache user and group, I have checked
httpd -S for errors, I have resolved the server name in
httpd.conf, I have included the oft-suggested
Require code in my declarations to
httpd-vhosts.conf as follows, in various arrangements and permutations:
<VirtualHost *:80> DocumentRoot "/Users/myuser/Sites" ServerName localhost </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost *:80> DocumentRoot "/Users/myuser/Sites/testsite" ServerName testsite.loc ErrorLog "/private/var/log/apache2/testsite_error_log" <Directory "/Users/myuser/Sites/testsite"> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI AllowOverride All Order Allow,Deny Allow from all Require all granted </Directory> </VirtualHost> <VirtualHost *:80> DocumentRoot "/Users/myuser/Sites/home" ServerName home.loc ErrorLog "/private/var/log/apache2/home_error_log" <Directory "/Users/myuser/Sites/home"> Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI AllowOverride All Order Allow,Deny Allow from all Require all granted </Directory> </VirtualHost>
I have reset the server every time I made a change, it doesn't seem to be generating an error log, and I have no clue what's going on. If there is anyone who can give me a trail to follow, or a clue how to proceed in solving this, I would be immensely grateful. This problem has been dogging me for two days straight.
Please note, I am not a server admin by training, just an engineer that fell into the job. I don't need simple explanations, but I do need a little more explicitness than usual. Thanks.
(For reference, the system I am required to work in is OSX 10.9.1. Let me know if there is any more data I am missing for the solution.)
Edit: Included the full vhosts code