On our main domain,
example.com we're hosting a lot of websites. So we just added a
* A/AAAA record to our zone and pointed it at our webserver.
Sadly, this also causes Outlook to constantly hammer our webserver, because now
autodiscover.example.com points at our webserver. Not only will Outlook constantly try to connect to it, it will also pop open a warning, that the SSL certificate served by
autodiscover.example.com isn't valid for that domain.
To counter that issue, I added an explicit
autodiscover A record and pointed it to
127.0.0.1, but that just causes other issues (especially when I'm running a webserver locally).
So, ideally, I would want to mark
autodiscover as nonexistent, so that Outlook will skip to a different auto-discovery mechanism. I realize that I could simply maintain a proper list of valid names in our zone, but I was hoping for something that requires less maintenance.