We have a need to backup data on a 2012 R2 server and restore it to an offsite 2008 Foundation server.
Problems arise because 2008 only supports .vhd files while 2012 insists on .vhdx vDisks only.
Any ideas on how I can get 2012 R2 to backup in a format that can be restored on 2008?
Edit: Sounds like I didn't explain this fully, allow me to try again with more detail this time:
- Server 2012 R2 running Hyper-V role
- Can create a .vhd file on disk fine
- When adding drives to SCSI controller for virtualized server (again 2012 R2) only .vhdx vDisks can be attached not .vhd vDisks
- Therefore Windows Server Backup cannot backup to a .vhd from within the virtualized server
Edit2: Attempt backup from Hyper-v layer rather than from within virtualized server
- Create .vhd attach as partition with drive letter
- Configure Windows Server Backup to backup to the drive letter representing the .vhd vDisk.
- Configure back of data vDisks in use by 2012 R2 virtualised server
- Problem: these vDisks are all .vhdx files, they must be for 2012 R2 hyper-v to use them.
- Even if 2008 can read the .vhd backup vDisk and recover from there all it will have recovered is a bunch of .vhdx files that it cannot read.