This is an issue that has been bugging me for a lot time with ESXi. I had the issue with my old Dell server (ESXi 5.0 and 5.5) and even with my new Dell T20 (ESXi 5.5). For the current issue at hand I will only focus on the new Dell T20 server, to avoid confusion.
Whenever I try to upload something from my Windows 7 PC to any VM on the servers, I don't get more than 3-5 MB/s. No matter if I use Samba, SFTP, FTP or uploading ISOs with the vSphere client. When I copy a file FROM the VMs to my Windows 7 PC, I will get speeds of around 70-90 MB/s which looks fine to me.
I will list a few infos that I think may be helpful to determine the issue.
- ESXi 5.5 U1 (#1623387)
- Intel 82571 NIC (Gigabit)
- 1 TB HDD (no RAID), ESXi & VM's are on this HDD
- VMware Tools are installed and up-to-date
- VMXNET3 NIC for the VMs
- The management network is on the same physical NIC since I only have one
- 2 active VMs running, but idling (Windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04)
- Windows 7 is my current PC and not a VM
- Using 3rd party NIC driver
iperf speed test over 30 seconds (using 2.0.5 on Ubuntu and JPerf 2.0.2 on Windows):
Windows 7 Client - Ubuntu 12.04 Server: 1270 MBytes = 355 Mbits/sec
Windows 7 Server - Ubuntu 12.04 Client: 2.29 GBytes = 655 Mbits/sec
Windows XP Server - Ubuntu 12.04 Client: 7314 MBytes = 2045 Mbits/sec
Windows XP Client - Ubuntu 12.04 Host: 744 MBytes = 623 Mbits/sec
Graphs here: Link
If there's anything else you need to know, please let me know.