Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I found this:

Q. I want to have additional servers running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 in my SBS 2011 Standard domain. Do I need additional CALs to access those servers? A. No. As long as those servers are within the Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard domain, your Windows Small Business Server 2011 CAL Suites grant you access rights to the other Windows Servers. Note however, the use of some functionality in Windows Server require additional licenses (e.g., Remote Desktop Services/Rights Management Services).

Here. I'm looking to find out if the CAL would also cover a Server 2012 or Server 2012 R2 member server of the SBS domain as well. Has anyone found anything from Microsoft one way or the other?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by joeqwerty, Iain, Michael Hampton May 25 '14 at 0:35

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 2 down vote accepted

First, in regard to the CALs, SBS 2011 CALs no longer work for Server 2012 & R2, so you'd need to purchase CALs for them if you plan to go with 2012. The SBS 2011 CALs work for 2008 & R2 as you already found out, but the licensing model changed for 2012 and MS now requires CALs for any member server running it. This is the link for reference.

Now, as far as other features (like RDS services you referenced in your question, and other features too) you will need separate CALs for those. See my quote directly from the 2012 license page FAQ.

Q: Do I still need a separate CAL to access Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and Active Directory Rights Management Service (ADRMS)? A: Yes. The licensing requirements for Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and Active Directory Rights Management Service (ADRMS) have not changed with Windows Server 2012 R2. Customers are still required to purchase an ADRMS and/or RDS CAL in addition to a Windows Server CAL to access ADRMS and/or RDS functionality respectively. For example, to access RDS functionality in Windows Server 2012 R2, you need Windows Server 2012 CALs and Windows Server 2012 RDS CALs along with the server software.

Let me know if you need further info.

share|improve this answer
We as a community decided long ago that software licensing questions are not topical here… – Iain May 24 '14 at 22:59
I've seen many questions like this recently that didn't get closed. He isn't asking for an overall comprehensive answer to help him license his entire network, he is simply asking for a few specifics regarding certain features. It would be very petty to close this question for the link you've referenced. We're here to help people not nit pick at them for the questions they ask. – Brad Bouchard May 25 '14 at 0:07
There's nothing special about it, see my reference links if you doubt that. They are both very easily answerable questions that I can also back up with my Microsoft rep as the company I work for is an MS Gold Partner, thus giving me access to be able to help people with questions like this. It's not like he came in and said help me license my entire infrastructure. – Brad Bouchard May 25 '14 at 1:14
@Iain Quite frankly the policy needs to be reconsidered. If my question were about adding a 2008 member server, the link I gave in my question is both clear and authoritative. And I disagree that the community should not assume OPs assume responsibility for use and verification of answers here. That some OPs have not done so does not negate their responsibility the same way that some drivers acting irresponsibly does nit negate other drivers from needing to act responsibly. – Andy May 25 '14 at 15:13
@BradBouchard Thanks, its too bad they didn't clarify this like they did the 2008 question. I'll follow up with MS to be sure. – Andy May 26 '14 at 12:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.