I have a Windows server, 2008 R2 running Hyper-V. I have downloaded the Windows Server 2012 RC DC version from here.
I am "forced" to install a download app that copies a
.vhd file to my chosen directory.
The instructions on this page say that to install the VHD:
- Download the VHD file.
- Start Hyper-V Manager. On the Action menu, select Import Virtual Machine.
- Navigate to the directory that the virtual machine file was extracted to and select the directory (not the directory where the VHD file is located).
- Select the Copy the virtual machine option.**
- Confirm that the import was successful by checking Hyper-V Manager.
- Configure the network adapter for the resulting virtual machine: right-click the virtual machine and select Settings. In the left pane, click Network Adapter. In the menu that appears, select one of the network adapters of the virtualization server, and then click OK.
- Start the virtual machine.
Where it says
Navigate to the directory that the virtual machine file was extracted to and select the directory (not the directory where the VHD file is located). Select the Copy the virtual machine option, I have a problem.
Nothing has been extracted as far as I can tell, and if it has, I have no idea where or what I'm looking for.
I tried creating a new VM and using the downloaded
.vhd file but I got an error saying that the
.vhd file is an incompatible format.