In our environment the following is true: Every resource (think server, switch, pdu etc) is mapped to a specific device identifier in a database
The problems are:
- Not every device which exists in the database is guaranteed to exist in the data-center (human error, custom setups, sent to be repaired etc.)
- Not every device which exists in the datacenter will exist in the database (someone forgot to add it, it was supposed to be temporary, etc.)
The solution would be: A member of our team going through the lab and manually validating each rack unit against its status in the database to ensure that mapping is appropriate.
What we need for that solution to be effective would be A tool that allows us:
- Layout a list of all available rack units
- To associate each rack unit with a device listed in the database (if one exists)
- Allows a user to simply specify whether the database to physical mapping is correct or incorrect
Is there a tool that is available that would allow this kind of integration, or allow us to script these kinds of configuration requirements?
I've been looking at racktables.org but I'm not sure how we could populate the mapping of our devices into its tables automatically.
Any other alternative solutions people have used for keeping inventory accurate?