I'm running puppet and it functions okay, but it's taking about 15 minutes on a sync without any changes, and it seems to me that this shouldn't take more than a minute or two. Here are some stats:
- ping 40ms
- 49 files, 3 MB, largest is 90K
- master is Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) w/ puppet 2.7.11
- (upgrading to puppet 2.7.23 didn't help)
- agent is Debian 7/64 w/ puppet version 2.7.23
- server is serving one client, only
I have tried with and without Apache tunnel/WEBrick/passenger with the same results.
What are some strategies for diagnosing this and and improving on the sync time?
UPDATE: In my case, in addition to the selected answer for using the
--evaltrace option, I used
strace and found that TCP connections were timing out and that my firewall was rate-limiting. (Why puppet didn't report the timeout and why it’s not reusing the connection, I don’t know.)