I come to you from Stack Overflow in peace. My expertise is in development and I understand basic networking only, so please keep things in laymen terms. With that said, I'm going to hire a developer to remote into my home server and do development. There are several reasons why I want the developer to work on my machine remotely rather than on theirs, but I'll pass on those details for now.
Here's what I have so far:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 behind a Linksys router.
- ClamWin Free Anti-virus running on the server.
- Most default Windows settings: firewall on, uac, etc.
- Opened up two ports (1723 & 500) on my router and setup a VPN host on the server (never set one up before but it seems to work fine).
- DynDNS service/client to keep my dynamic IP static.
- Server has RDP access from inside the network only.
- VMWare Server installed on the host server; Windows XP Pro VM created to develop on w/admin privileges and RDP access is on from inside the network.
So basically my idea for the hired developer is:
- VPN into the network.
- RDP to remote into the virtual machine.
How does this setup sound? I'm sure there is more configuration that needs to be done to the VM itself because I want to keep it isolated from the rest of the network. Any tips or pointers would be very helpful.