I set up a DFS to centralise my shares. After doing so, I noticed, that I can access the shares via the domain path (\\SNAKEOIL.LOCAL\Research), but the folders is shown as empty.
The intended namespace \\SNAKEOIL.LOCAL\Public is working as expected.
Why is that and how can I avoid this strange behaviour?
Servers are running Windows Server 2012 R2. Howevery, I have the same problem with 2008 R2, too. Here is my setup:
SOIL-DC1 (domain controller, DFS)
- D:\Shares\Research (shared as \\SOIL-DC1\Research)
- D:\Shares\Laboratory (shared as \\SOIL-DC1\Laboratory)
SOIL-DC2 (domain controller, DFS)
- D:\Shares\Development (shared as \\SOIL-DC2\Development)
- Research (targets to \\SOIL-DC1\Research)
- Laboratory (targets to \\SOIL-DC1\Laboratory)
- Development (targets to \\SOIL-DC1\Development)