We have an office network that consists of the following:
1x Vigor 2950 5-port (WAN Load Balancer) 2x Netgear 24-port Managed Switch FSM726 1x PowerConnect 2724 24-port
- The Vigor has our two ADSL lines hanging off it.
- Our patch panel connects into the 2 Netgear (for all desktops, laptops, etc...)
- All servers plug in to the PowerConnect
Currently the configuration is:
- Netgear 1 connected to Netgear 2 using GB ports
- PowerConnect connected to Netgear 2 using GB ports
- Netgear 2 connected to Vigor 2950 using GB ports
Basically, the question I have is this the correct way we should be doing it? We had an instance last week when a user was copying 10GBs of large files from a server on the PowerConnect to his machine on Netgear 1 and it basically killed the network for everyone else except him.
Should I infact be connecting each Netgear and the PowerConnect into the Vigor instead?
I'm not sure what the rules are for connecting multiple switches together and I don't seem to be able to find anything good on Google.