I'm looking at using Linode at a VPS host for a PHP Webapp. Linode offers a variety of Linux distros. I'm basically after a config that will absolutely minimize memory usage while still keeping the site performant. So how should I configure it?
- I've heard nginx has a smaller footprint (and is often faster) than Apache;
- I want some form of opcode cache, be it APC, eAccelerator, Zend, XCache or something else;
- I'll be running MySQL 5;
- Suggested distro? I've heard Arch Linux is fairly barebones (I'm used to Ubuntu);
- I'm using GMail for the domain email so need nothing there;
- Linode seems to offer a DNS service separately (for free) so I won't need to run DNS servers will I?
- Anything else I can do to keep memory usage low?