I have the same result:
root@serverX:~# sudo service apache2 status
* Apache is running (pid 2958).
As the others have said, this is the main process ID; any other processes are child processes. If you need information on these, you should install mod_status which allows for ExtendedStatus and pulling all kinds of neat information from Apache.
The details given are:
- The number of worker serving requests
- The number of idle worker
- The status of each worker, the number of requests that worker has performed and the total number of bytes served by the worker (*)
- A total number of accesses and byte count served (*)
- The time the server was started/restarted and the time it has been running for
- Averages giving the number of requests per second, the number of bytes served per second and the average number of bytes per request (*)
- The current percentage CPU used by each worker and in total by Apache (*)
- The current hosts and requests being processed (*)
The lines marked "(*)" are only available if ExtendedStatus is On.