I'm trying to enable the Network Discovery feature on a newly installed Windows Server 2008 R2 instance.
The network connection is in the Home or Work profile (it is not domain joined). These are the steps I've followed:
- Within the Network and Sharing Center I select Change advanced sharing settings
- Then I select the Turn on network discovery option for the current network profile (Home or Work)
- I then click Save changes
If I then go back to the Advanced sharing settings screen the Turn off network discovery option is selected and the machine is not visible to others within the Network node in Windows Explorer.
Things I've checked:
- I can ping the server and connect to it using the machine name/IP address.
- The Windows Firewall has exceptions for Network Discovery for both Private and Public networks.
- File and Printer sharing is enabled and I can transfer files to/from the server by connecting to the server using a UNC path.
What am I missing here?