I have no experience in setting up postfix, and thought virtualmin minght do the legwork for me. Appears not. When I try to send mail to the domain (either firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
I get the following message returned
This is the mail system at host dedq239.localdomain. I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below. For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster> If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message. The mail system <email@example.com> (expanded from <firstname.lastname@example.org>): User unknown in virtual alias table Final-Recipient: rfc822; email@example.com Original-Recipient: rfc822;firstname.lastname@example.org Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; User unknown in virtual alias table
How can I diagnose the problem here? It seems that the mail gets to my server but the server fails to locally deliver the message to the correct user. (This is a guess, truthfully I have no idea what is happening). I have checked my virtual alias table and it seems to be set up correctly (I can post if this would be helpful). Can anyone give me a clue as to the next step?
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes command_directory = /usr/sbin config_directory = /etc/postfix daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix debug_peer_level = 2 html_directory = no local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix manpage_directory = /usr/share/man mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain myorigin = $mydomain newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/samples sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix setgid_group = postdrop smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks reject_unauth_destination smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes soft_bounce = no unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550 virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
My mail log file (the last entry)
Sep 30 15:13:47 dedq239 postfix/cleanup: 207C6B18158: message-id=<email@example.com> Sep 30 15:13:47 dedq239 postfix/qmgr: 207C6B18158: from=<firstname.lastname@example.org>, size=1805, nrcpt=1 (queue active) Sep 30 15:13:47 dedq239 postfix/error: 207C6B18158: to=<email@example.com>, orig_to=<firstname.lastname@example.org>, relay=none, delay=0.64, delays=0.61/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (User unknown in virtual alias table) Sep 30 15:13:47 dedq239 postfix/cleanup: 8DC13B18169: message-id=<20090930221347.8DC13B18169@dedq239.localdomain> Sep 30 15:13:47 dedq239 postfix/qmgr: 8DC13B18169: from=<>, size=3691, nrcpt=1 (queue active) Sep 30 15:13:47 dedq239 postfix/bounce: 207C6B18158: sender non-delivery notification: 8DC13B18169 Sep 30 15:13:47 dedq239 postfix/qmgr: 207C6B18158: removed Sep 30 15:13:48 dedq239 postfix/smtp: 8DC13B18169: to=<email@example.com>, relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[18.104.22.168]:25, delay=1.3, delays=0.02/0.01/0.58/0.75, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK 1254348828 36si15082901pxi.91) Sep 30 15:13:48 dedq239 postfix/qmgr: 8DC13B18169: removed Sep 30 15:14:17 dedq239 postfix/smtpd: disconnect from mail-bw0-f228.google.com[22.214.171.124]
etc.aliases file below I have not touched this file - myvirtualdomain is a replacement for my real domain name
# Aliases in this file will NOT be expanded in the header from # Mail, but WILL be visible over networks or from /bin/mail. # # >>>>>>>>>> The program "newaliases" must be run after # >> NOTE >> this file is updated for any changes to # >>>>>>>>>> show through to sendmail. # # Basic system aliases -- these MUST be present. mailer-daemon: postmaster postmaster: root # General redirections for pseudo accounts. bin: root daemon: root adm: root lp: root sync: root shutdown: root halt: root mail: root news: root uucp: root operator: root games: root gopher: root ftp: root nobody: root radiusd: root nut: root dbus: root vcsa: root canna: root wnn: root rpm: root nscd: root pcap: root apache: root webalizer: root dovecot: root fax: root quagga: root radvd: root pvm: root amanda: root privoxy: root ident: root named: root xfs: root gdm: root mailnull: root postgres: root sshd: root smmsp: root postfix: root netdump: root ldap: root squid: root ntp: root mysql: root desktop: root rpcuser: root rpc: root nfsnobody: root ingres: root system: root toor: root manager: root dumper: root abuse: root newsadm: news newsadmin: news usenet: news ftpadm: ftp ftpadmin: ftp ftp-adm: ftp ftp-admin: ftp www: webmaster webmaster: root noc: root security: root hostmaster: root info: postmaster marketing: postmaster sales: postmaster support: postmaster # trap decode to catch security attacks decode: root # Person who should get root's mail #root: marc abuse-myvirtualdomain.com: firstname.lastname@example.org
My etc/postfix/virtual file is below - again myvirtualdomain is a replacement. I think this file was generated by Virtualmin and I have tried messing around with is with no success... This is the version without my changes.
myunixusername@myvirtualdomain .com myunixusername myvirtualdomain .com myvirtualdomain.com email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org