I have an Dell PowerEdge 830, but after installing a 4:th disk and while copying backup files to this new disk the overall performance of the server just plummet.
The system degrades to a point where it can not be accessed remotely over the network and basically freeze. But as soon as I cancel the copy operation things return to normal.
I can provide more information on the matter, but right now I'm thinking it's related to the bus speed, but why would it be so intense? Is there anything I can do to identify the problem, or has anyone run into a similar problem?
Current disk configuration
- 3 disks connected to a DELL CERC SATA 1.5/6ch RAID Controller
- Only two of these disks form a RAID0 array
- The 3rd disk seems to be unused
- The RAID array has 3 partitions, something called EISA configuration 31MB (don't know what this is), C: with 132GB and D: with 165GB
- 4th disk connected to a SATA port on the main board
Copying from the RAID array to the 4th disk kills server performance to a point where it's almost entirely unresponsive.