In our environment, we have physical servers running Server 2003 and SQL 2005 that are clustered with iSCSI storage disks for the data, logs, and backup disks. We would like to move these to VMs on a Hyper-V cluster. Based on some initial research that I've done, I've come up with these steps to accomplish this:
- Fail over all resources to node 1.
- Perform a P2V using SCVMM on node 2.
- Shut down the physical machine for node 2 and turn on the VM.
- Fail over all resources to node 2.
- Perform a P2V using SCVMM on node 1.
- Shut down the physical machine for node 1 and turn on the VM.
- Balance the cluster.
Since we would do a P2V on a physical machine, the iSCSI initiator should operate on the VM just as it does on the physical machine, assuming the IP addresses are the same, so the iSCSI disks should show up. Is this the recommended method for accomplishing this? Is there an easier way? Would this method be supported?