I'm hoping one of the many network gurus here can help me with a problem that just started to happen on our office network. We have a Linksys RV082 router; short description of the problem is that clients on the internal office network are intermittently unable to resolve host names via DNS.
Here's the troubleshooting info I've gathered so far:
- External connections to servers inside our office are fine.
- Outbound connections from the office network are fine if I use the IP address (e.g. browse to http://myhostname.com fails with "host not found", but browse to http:[IP address of myhostname.com] works). This is why I'm assuming it's a DNS problem.
- Problem happens from multiple machines on the office network (it doesn't seem to be restricted to any particular machine).
- Restarting the router fixed the problem for a short time, but the problem came back after about 15 minutes.
- Changing the DNS servers defined in the router from our ISP's DNS servers to OpenDNS made things better for a couple of hours, but now we're back to the same problem again. (Note; we don't have a local DNS proxy, the router is set up to go direct to a pair of external DNS servers).
Thanks in advance for your help !