Right now at my company we are using PPTP Windows VPN for people to connect remotely (dial-in), and we are thinking about maybe using a Cisco solution instead (The kind where you download that cisco client with that yellow lock in the system tray seems to have worked well at places I have been). So I am looking for help with my initial researching of this, particularly keywords, if you can't tell :-)
- What is this type of VPN called? (most Google results give me the site-site VPNs, which I already know about)
- Can it authenticate against active directory?
- Can I run multiple servers, one at each office location?
- Can my 2800/3800 routers act as the server? If so, In one location, I have a spare 2800, could that act as a dedicated VPN server, would that help me much (Does VPN generate much load per client)? Do I need a particular feature set (IOS version)?
- Is this going to require additional licenses, if so, for each client, server, how is it based?
- Anything else I should know, or maybe be thinking about?