Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We have an IPCop firewall/proxy installed in our network, and although I can use iftop to somewhat take a look at how the clients are using the Internet, is it possible to monitor it from outside the proxy with something like ntop?

Note that I'm not interested in LAN traffic, only traffic that goes to/from the Internet.

share|improve this question

Have ntop kick out netflow data and you can get all sorts of fun reports.

Some people do just write their own flow parsers as well if you're into that sort of thing.

More information about netflow data:

share|improve this answer
would any of this solution work in a sonicwall enviornment? – Saif Khan May 14 '09 at 19:34
Which model sonicwall? – sparks May 14 '09 at 20:03
No NetFlow available :( – Ivan May 17 '09 at 23:38

We've used IPAudit It could give you pretty granular info about outgoing/incoming bandwidth.

Here are some screenshots: enter image description here enter image description here

share|improve this answer
That looks handy, but I couldn't get it to play with gnuplot from Ubuntu 8.10 – Ivan May 18 '09 at 0:54
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I couldn't find something that wouldn't also mix LAN traffic, so I settled for IPTraf. I do have to use it from the firewall machine, but since it's a text program it's no big deal.

By using filters and named MACs, I can quickly take a look at Internet traffic.

I also found an interesting program called EtherApe. It graphs local network connections, check it out.

Another simple monitoring tool, BandwidthD.

Cacti looks interesting too, but too bloated for what I want.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.