Rather than having all of my computers go out to the internet and download their Automatic Updates, I am seriously considering building a WSUS server. That is, a Windows Update server. I have read some articles, and they have been helpful, but not complete. The following is what I have gleaned are the steps I need to take:
- Commission a computer to be the server with Windows 2003 Server.
- Install the WSUS package(s) and select the type of updates to check for.
- Configure the rest of my computers to be clients of this server.
- Set the clients to receive updates from the server.
My questions are as follows:
- Does the server have to run Windows 2003 Server, or will Windows XP Professional work?
- Where do I download the WSUS packages from?
- How can I configure my computers to look for updates from my server instead of the internet?