I'm thinking to buy an IBM DS3200 p/n 1726-21X with sata hard drives attached on a IBM sas hba controller and to configure it as "single server, single path" like IBM says in its configuration examples.
Unfortunately I never had one so I would like to know some details from someone who already has one.
- I have some empty hard disk enclosures (p/n 42R4129 the ones used by DS3200): if I fill them with some hdd from other brands, let's say Western Digital, would they be recognized or are there some bios check on serial number?
- Does ds3200 support 2TB hdd? IBM says 1TB but I think that's because they do not provide 2TB hdd yet.
- How many hard drives can be used? any number between 1 and 12 included?
- Do you have some benchmarks on write and read speed?
- How does it handle disks? I mean, ds3200 is attached to a sata multilane port and it can be filled with 12 hdd. How are they seen by the controller? like 12 distinct drives or like 4 groups of 3 hdd?
- Do you have any screenshot of the administration interface?
- Which device handles the raid? The sas hba controller or the DS3200 itself?