Please let me know if this is off-topic, as this question deals with the logistical or administrative side of IT rather than the technical.
This December, one of my colleagues and I are going to take two weeks during the university's winter holiday to tackle a few projects including
- updating our Radmind loadset to Snow Leopard
- setting up a new NetInstall-based imaging scheme
- cleaning up an in-house codebase
- migrating a few services to different servers for security and robustness
- rebuilding two key servers from backups and bare metal for practice
None of these have defined objectives or good time estimates, so I'm at a loss for how to even begin. Plus, both of us are students with no formal IT training, so for the NetInstall and migration, we'll be learning on the job.
In light of this, what kind of project plans should we be writing? I'm not asking because I need to hand a formal proposal in, but rather because I think preparing such a document would help me think about it and organize the work. Basically, what should I be considering in scheduling and prioritizing my work on a day-to-day basis?