Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a SMC router that my ISP provides for my home cable modem.

Are there any software/hardware products that I can use to monitor what websites are being viewed by the household?

(with the ability to block urls).

We have 2 computers that wirelessly connect to the router. I want to monitor the other computer that my kids use.


locked by HopelessN00b Dec 5 '14 at 9:50

This question exists because it has historical significance, but it is not considered a good, on-topic question for this site, so please do not use it as evidence that you can ask similar questions here. This question and its answers are frozen and cannot be changed. More info: help center.

I suggest OpenDNS.

You can block specific sites, block by category, and you can log what addresses are requested. It will do what you are asking in roughly 15 minutes of reading and setup time.

+1. Good answer. And it'll even log some usage statistics if you want it to... – James Burgess May 16 '09 at 22:16
As an added bonus, I've found that OpenDNS is slightly speedier than my ISP's DNS servers. – Matt Hanson May 17 '09 at 6:49

I'm not sure about the SMC routers, but I know that some of the D-Link Routers allow you to see a listing of websites and you can whitelist certain websites for a specific computer (or all computers) can use.

If you think that it's going to be a major problem, I'd go with the Net Nanny software to restrict usage by categories.



Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.