Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

At my workplace we have a router which has two WAN connectors which allow transparently combining two ADSL connections or one ADSL and one ISDN as fallback.

What's the name of this feature?

share|improve this question
It really doesn't have a specific name, but sometimes you'll see "dual link" advertised. The better Q is "What do you call a router that's unable to combine two WAN connection?" A: "A toy" (at least as far as serverfault/business class people are concerned, now for the superuser/home user class, it's perfectly fine) :-) – Brian Knoblauch Dec 4 '09 at 12:37
up vote 4 down vote accepted

We can say Dual-WAN or Multi-WAN Routers, theses are not very specific features, you may have for example a juniper router on which you can make any port into the wan security zone and get them to failover.

share|improve this answer

Did you mean load balancing ? If yes - on SOHO routers which usually contain linux inside - by adding 2 or more default routes (LARTC)

share|improve this answer

It is a Dual-Wan Load Balancer Router. Try this link

I'd use this product without troubles.. it works for me...

share|improve this answer

Related (Might be useful to someone who stumbles upon this question):

When you combine T1's in the way you have mentioned, that is called bonding. On Cisco routers, you do this with a multilink interface.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.