We have two ubuntu 8.04 servers. With the database server I set the table_cache to 1000 however when I restart mysql the status only shows 257 and the open files limit says 1024
I adjusted ulimit by doing ulimit -n 8192 and then restarting mysql; this seemed to do the tick however after a few hours I did ulimit -n and saw it had returned back to 1024
Bit of a worry.
I edited the /etc/security/limits.conf and added
mysql soft nofile 8192
mysql hard nofile 8192
then rebooted, no change. I then edited and change mysql to * rebooted, no change I then edited and changed it to one line
* - nofile 8192
and rebooted, no change.
gives me 768730
fs.file-max = 768730
I am at a bit of a loss to how I can set and keep the ulimit value set so I can increase the table cache properly on mysql.