Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for professional system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

We've deployed our first 2008 R2 server on a client site which has replaced their existing 2003 DC. This server provides DNS resolution services to all client machines on that site for general internet usage.

Since using the 2008 R2 DNS services we have noticed every couple of days the DNS server starts timing out when requests to certain sites are made (google is the only example I can provide at this time although it seems to be larger sites with problems rather than small - CDN compatiblity issue?). When you restart the DNS Server service then resolution returns to normal... just only for a day or so.

Is anybody aware of any significant changes to the DNS server architecture or configuration out of the box in R2 that may explain this intermittent behaviour?

I have already tried the fix listed here to no avail:

http://weblogs.asp.net/owscott/archive/2009/09/15/windows-server-2008-r2-dns-issues.aspx

The following PS command prompt info illustrates the issue:

PS C:\Users\Administrator.UK> nslookup 
Default Server: s8209001.uk.kingdomfaith.com 
Address: 10.1.3.4 > www.google.com 
Server: s8209001.uk.kingdomfaith.com 
Address: 10.1.3.4 Non-authoritative answer: 
Name: www.l.google.com 
Addresses: 66.102.9.99 66.102.9.104 66.102.9.105 66.102.9.103 66.102.9.147 
Aliases: www.google.com > www.google.co.uk 
Server: s8209001.uk.kingdomfaith.com 
Address: 10.1.3.4 * s8209001.uk.kingdomfaith.com can't find www.google.co.uk: Server failed
share|improve this question
    
The following PS command prompt info illustrates the issue: PS C:\Users\Administrator.UK> nslookup Default Server: s8209001.uk.kingdomfaith.com Address: 10.1.3.4 > www.google.com Server: s8209001.uk.kingdomfaith.com Address: 10.1.3.4 Non-authoritative answer: Name: www.l.google.com Addresses: 66.102.9.99 66.102.9.104 66.102.9.105 66.102.9.103 66.102.9.147 Aliases: www.google.com > www.google.co.uk Server: s8209001.uk.kingdomfaith.com Address: 10.1.3.4 *** s8209001.uk.kingdomfaith.com can't find www.google.co.uk: Server failed –  Richard Maynard Dec 11 '09 at 17:58
    
+1 - I've seen the same thing. I just restart the DNS service when this happens. –  Mark Henderson Jul 15 '10 at 0:34
    
I also have this problem. Have to restart DNS every few days on a new 2008 R2 DC (old DC was decommissioned). –  Luke Puplett Nov 6 '12 at 21:40

1 Answer 1

Per this Microsoft KB article the solution is to change the MaxCacheTTL registry value (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters\MaxCacheTTL) to 2 days or longer.

share|improve this answer
    
This needs to be marked as the answer. To corroborate this, read more about how and why: serverfault.com/questions/98999/… –  Luke Puplett Nov 10 '12 at 14:30

Your Answer

 
discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.