Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

i recently bought a new domain and pointed it to another host. i decided to move to more powerful server so then the following day, I added an A record for my dedicated server on my registrar. I have already running on this server.

A * 

heres my apache2 conf inside sites-available

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerAlias *
        DocumentRoot /var/www/mysite
        <Directory />
                AllowOverride None
                Options FollowSymLinks
        <Directory /var/www/mysite>
                AllowOverride All
                Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all

The problem is that when i navigate to it takes me to the old host's page i was using yesterday and doesn't display the page on my dedicated server! It works on and off for past 24 hours.

When I wget from other servers, it works fine. I ran and everything is fine!

whats going on ? how can i fix this ???

share|improve this question
This kind of problem is difficult to look at if you don't provide the real domains and let us dig through the DNS entries. – EasyEcho Jan 2 '10 at 13:06
up vote 1 down vote accepted

From the description above, it sounds like this is probably down to dns server caching time.

The dns servers in use by (a) and (b) the servers you're wget'ing from, reflect the updated information. However, depending on TTL, this updated information may not be reflected elsewhere (where the DNS servers in use have the old information cached).

For more information, see the section under 'Caching Time' at the wikipedia article on DNS here.

share|improve this answer
By the way - a temporary solution, if you want to be able to address your new server by its domain name in the meantime (and verify that your virtualhost config is correct): You could edit your hosts file ( to create an entry for your server's ip and FQDN. – user30579 Jan 2 '10 at 14:04

"Working on and off" points strongly at DNS caching being the culprit. Check with your local caching resolvers (each of them, one by one) and examine the cached TTL and RR data. That'll tell you either (a) which resolver needs a flush, or (b) how long you've got to wait. If they're all in sync but things are still having problems, then give us the real domain and IP address(es) you want and people can investigate on their own.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.