Windows Mobile is a line of Microsoft operating systems for phones and pocket PCs. It was preceded by Windows CE and is superseded by Windows Phone 7. The first version in the line is named
Pocket PC 2000, and the last in the line is
Windows Mobile 6.5.
Major versions of this product line are:
- Windows CE first shipped in 1996 and is based on the Windows 95 codebase.
- Pocket PC 2000 released on April 19, 2000 and is based on Windows CE 3.0.
- Pocket PC 2002 released in October 2001 included smartphone support for the first time and is also based on Windows CE 3.0.
- Windows Mobile 2003 was released on June 23, 2003 and is based on Windows CE 4.20.
- Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, was released on March 24, 2004 and added support for WPA
- Windows Mobile 5.0 was released on May 9, 2005 and is the earliest editions for which Extended support is available (through 2015).
- Windows Mobile 6 was released on February 12, 2007 and added storage card encryption capabilities. It is based on Windows CE 5.20
- Windows Mobile 6.5 was released on May 11, 2009 and is the last in the line.