Zenoss is an open-source application, server, and network management platform that allows system administrators to monitor availability, inventory/configuration, performance, and events over a web interface.
Zenoss Core is built upon the following open source technologies:
- Zope Application server: An object-oriented web server written in Python.
- Python: Extensible programming language.
- Net-SNMP: Monitoring protocol that collects systems status information.
- RRDtool: Graph and log time series data.
- MySQL: A popular open source database.
- Twisted: An event-driven networking engine written in Python.
Zenoss Core provides the following capabilities:
- Monitoring availability of network devices using SNMP, SSH, WMI
- Monitoring of network services (HTTP, POP3, NNTP, SNMP, FTP)
- Monitoring of host resources (processor, disk usage) on most network operating systems.
- Time-series performance monitoring of devices
- Extended Microsoft Windows monitoring via Windows Management Instrumentation using SAMBA and Zenoss open source extensions
- Event management tools to annotate system alerts
- Automatically discovers network resources and changes in network configuration
- Alerting system provides notifications based on rule sets and on-call calendars
- Supports Nagios plug-in format