44,706 reputation
16108173
bio website http://яѱ.com
location Sydney, Australia
age 29
visits member for 5 years, 8 months
seen 13 hours ago

I wear many hats at my workplace.

Primarily a Database Developer, but also programmer, web designer, DBA, sysadmin, and general office bitch.

I work for a small custom software house in Sydney, Australia. We use all manner of tools - but mainly MSSQL and a Rapid Application Tool called eDeveloper uniPaaS Magic XPA.


Jan
27
comment Restart a MS Server 2008, without it installing updates?
A quick restart on SBS 2008? Our SBS 2008 server takes about 25 minutes to reboot, updates or no updates, on a dual-quad-core with 8gb of ram and 15k SAS drives!
Jan
27
comment What software should I use to set up folder synchronization between Windows servers?
+1 - love synctoy. Wasn't aware of its locked file problem though.
Jan
26
comment How to set up Google ShortName service for my domain, so that the FQDN isn't needed
Hi Tom, what we normally suggest for your question is to ask a question, and then post your solution as an answer. That way it can get upvoted and be marked as accepted: serverfault.com/faq (` It's also perfectly fine to ask and answer your own question, but pretend you're on Jeopardy: phrase it in the form of a question.`)
Jan
25
comment Dual Monitor support rdp 7 to win 7 on esxi
Hmm. We run our Terminal Servers on ESXi, and the console settings are always just set to 640x480 with the VMWare tools installed. When you run an mstsc session the local video driver is bypassed with the Terminal Server renderer. In fact I've had a TS that doesn't even have the local video card driver installed and it's fine with multi-desktop...
Jan
25
comment Need a free DNS and DHCP Server that's easy to manage (Windows Server 2008)
If you've already got a *nix box with XBMC and TrixBox, can you just chuck the DHCP and Bind daemons onto those boxes?
Jan
25
comment Need a free DNS and DHCP Server that's easy to manage (Windows Server 2008)
If the op has never use *nix before, I don't know if bind is "easy to manage"
Jan
25
comment Scheduled Tasks w/ GUI issue
We had this problem a few years ago and we sent a very similar artical to our developer and he had it fixed in a matter of hours for us.
Jan
25
comment Dual Monitor support rdp 7 to win 7 on esxi
I thought the correct flag was mstsc /span? Anyway you might have better luck with this over at superuser.com
Jan
25
comment Dual Monitor support rdp 7 to win 7 on esxi
Since TS 6.0 client, yes
Jan
22
comment Running a Windows service under a domain user account
@Dscoduc, because sometimes we want to disable a particular service account at an enterprise level
Jan
21
comment How many simualtaneous users can WRT54G handle?
He's a LONG way short of the number of votes on this question: stackoverflow.com/questions/1732348/…
Jan
20
comment Why did our raid array fail?
+1. if all the disks are the same age, it's very very possible they're all going to die at the same time. I remember once when I went to hang the washing on the line and EVERY SINGLE plastic peg that worked fine last time I was out there (3 days ago) snapped in my hand. They had just been out in the sun too long and cos they were all the same age they all failed at once.
Jan
20
comment customer wont provide ssh access - ftp only
@John, If I were a hardliner muslim I might find it offensive that others eat bacon, but that doesn't mean I should tell off everyone I see eating it. We're not here to judge others idea of morality. (PS for the record, I love bacon)
Jan
20
comment customer wont provide ssh access - ftp only
+1 for bigger bills, -1 for "find another job" (easier said than done), but +1 cos I like giving out votes
Jan
20
comment customer wont provide ssh access - ftp only
Hmm, customer does not always know best. Our customer who virtualised their MSSQL server is now wishing that they had listened to us when we told them it was a bad idea.
Jan
20
comment What hardware and software specifications would you have for purchasing a data-archival system?
Eh, it was worth a shot.
Jan
20
comment Windows Server 2003 on components that have no driver support
90% of the time normally, the other 10% it's cos of a touchy installer, so I extract the files and update/install the driver through the device manager.
Jan
20
comment What hardware and software specifications would you have for purchasing a data-archival system?
I would get you to give me the $180,000 as a "consultant" and then take a holiday to the Maldives
Jan
20
comment Multiple websites with SSL one application
You can have a wildcard certificate that covers *.zendesk.com, but I've never, ever, ever seen multiple SSL's on one IP. And we run about 20 SSL enabled services, so if there was a way, I would be using it!
Jan
18
comment How do I connect our PBX to a PC?
As programmers/sysadmins we are destined to approach every problem looking for a programmatic solution. So +1 for thinking of the human approach.