Reputation
45,703
Next tag badge:
94/100 score
31/20 answers
Badges
16 110 179
Impact
~2.5m people reached

Jan
25
comment Dual Monitor support rdp 7 to win 7 on esxi
Since TS 6.0 client, yes
Jan
22
comment Running a Windows service under a domain user account
@Dscoduc, because sometimes we want to disable a particular service account at an enterprise level
Jan
21
comment How many simualtaneous users can WRT54G handle?
He's a LONG way short of the number of votes on this question: stackoverflow.com/questions/1732348/…
Jan
20
comment Why did our raid array fail?
+1. if all the disks are the same age, it's very very possible they're all going to die at the same time. I remember once when I went to hang the washing on the line and EVERY SINGLE plastic peg that worked fine last time I was out there (3 days ago) snapped in my hand. They had just been out in the sun too long and cos they were all the same age they all failed at once.
Jan
20
comment customer wont provide ssh access - ftp only
@John, If I were a hardliner muslim I might find it offensive that others eat bacon, but that doesn't mean I should tell off everyone I see eating it. We're not here to judge others idea of morality. (PS for the record, I love bacon)
Jan
20
comment customer wont provide ssh access - ftp only
+1 for bigger bills, -1 for "find another job" (easier said than done), but +1 cos I like giving out votes
Jan
20
comment customer wont provide ssh access - ftp only
Hmm, customer does not always know best. Our customer who virtualised their MSSQL server is now wishing that they had listened to us when we told them it was a bad idea.
Jan
20
comment What hardware and software specifications would you have for purchasing a data-archival system?
Eh, it was worth a shot.
Jan
20
comment Windows Server 2003 on components that have no driver support
90% of the time normally, the other 10% it's cos of a touchy installer, so I extract the files and update/install the driver through the device manager.
Jan
20
comment What hardware and software specifications would you have for purchasing a data-archival system?
I would get you to give me the $180,000 as a "consultant" and then take a holiday to the Maldives
Jan
20
comment Multiple websites with SSL one application
You can have a wildcard certificate that covers *.zendesk.com, but I've never, ever, ever seen multiple SSL's on one IP. And we run about 20 SSL enabled services, so if there was a way, I would be using it!
Jan
18
comment How do I connect our PBX to a PC?
As programmers/sysadmins we are destined to approach every problem looking for a programmatic solution. So +1 for thinking of the human approach.
Jan
17
comment Is there a way to add a new drive to the windows software raid 5 volume?
I'm fairly sure that that software requires you to have added the disk to the array already, and it's just using a lot of fancy words to say that it's a partition resizing tool.
Jan
17
comment Subdomain doesn't work without www in front of it
Can you post your .htaccess file? It's most likely either that, or your apache virtualhosts configuration.
Jan
16
comment Changing default Internet Explorer Security Zone
Interesting. On my Windows 7 machine there was a key right down to that path, even though I haven't done any customising. Hope you have some better luck!
Jan
15
comment Why buy costly hard drives from storage server vendors like Dell/HP/Sun?
And padding some sales schmucks commisssion and sales bonus
Jan
15
comment Why does a web server's public key certificate have to be signed by a certificate authority?
Thanks Zypher, you took the words out of my mouth :) And certificates for for domains, not IP's. We have three IP addresses for three servers that serve our heaviest website, and they all have the same certificate loaded.
Jan
14
comment Share PPTP Connection to local network computers
Ohh! Ok! I follow. In that case, go with what Michael Graff said, and get RRAS to route all traffic over a NAT on the VPN tunnel
Jan
14
comment Difference between application and virtual directory
In IIS6 you create a virtual directory and then convert it to an application.
Jan
14
comment Share PPTP Connection to local network computers
NAT is only useful if you have one route (i.e. router -> internet). When you are sharing a PPTP you usually have two (internet and the PPTP tunnel). That said, at least it doesn't require the involvement of the other side of the network to make the routes visible over there as well.