What topics can I ask about here?
Server Fault is for questions about managing information technology systems in a business environment.
If your question is about:
- managing the hardware or software of servers, workstations, storage or networks
- tools used for administering, monitoring, or automating these
- deployment to and management of third-party provided information technology platforms
and is not about:
- consumer workstations or networking (which belong on our sister site, Super User)
- working with a service provider's management interface, such as cPanel
- product, service, or learning material recommendations
- product licensing inquiries or legal advice
- career, salary, personnel, employment, or formal education
- unauthorized use or misuse of IT systems
then you’re in the right place to ask your question!
We also have sister sites that cover specific topics in more detail:
- Stack Overflow for Programming
- Super User for general Networking, Hardware, and Technology
- Unix & Linux for general Unix/Linux usage
- DBA for Advanced Database topics
- IT Security for Advanced Security (implementation, theory, white hat)
- Webmasters for general Web Site operation
- Network engineering for professionally managed networks in a business environment
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Server Fault, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"