We have two Windows 2016 servers. A primary and secondary on the same network. We want to keeps the installed printer for the primary in sync(names, divers, configs) with the secondary. Right now it's a manual process we are trying to automate. Does anyone have some suggestions on how to approach this?
Not true "synchronization", but more like replication:
- Open Print Management by pressing Windows key + R, then type printmanagement.msc and hit the enter key.
- Click on Print Management, then select Action from the menu, then Migrate Printers…
- Choose the option Export printer queues and printer drivers to a file, then simply follow the prompts.
- Take that resulting file and copy it to your new print server.
- Open Print Management on the new print server then navigate to Migrate Printers… like before.
- This time choose Import printer queues and printer drivers to a file and choose the file that you exported from the old print server.
- Test out printing from your new print server.
Another option is to run print server inside a 2-node cluster - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/jj556311(v%3Dws.11)