I have two storage servers at home - one is my workstation, which has a pair of 3TB disks in RAID1.
At first, I stored all of my data there. Recently, I received a small SBC with four 1TB disks. I set them up with RAID0, with the idea being that the SBC remains on at all times for everyone to use (and is faster), and when the workstation is up they sync the differences and the data stays safe there.
Right now, I have some unique data on each. What I'm looking for is a way to do one large transfer of the unique data, and then have something more incremental.
Both servers are formatted with BtrFS.
I had a few options in mind:
- tar the directories I'm transferring, compress them (with zstd) and then scp or rsync them.
- send the tar to standard output and pipe it into the compressor and over the network
- use BtrFS send-receive over the network, either with or without compression
- use rsync, with or without compression
- mount one of the server's filesystem on the other with SMB or NFS and do the transfer.
Which of these options do you think would perform best?