On a box recently upgraded from SLES 9.3 to 10.2, I'm seeing the following issue:
Prior to the upgrade, an NFS mount (defined via yast, i.e., it appeared in
/etc/fstab) worked correctly. Following the upgrade, however, it is failing. A network trace shows that it is making the initial connection to the NFS server over TCP (for the portmapper RPC), but then it switches to UDP for the subsequent MOUNT call; since the NFS server doesn't allow UDP (with good reason, due to the possible issues with data corruption, as in
nfs(5)), the connection will not go through.
Adding the TCP option (whether in fstab, or at the command line, etc.) has no effect.
In the course of troubleshooting this, I've found that /var/adm/messages is reporting the following as occurring during boot:
Failed services in runlevel 3: network
(I should note that despite this error message, apparently at least some network services are started, since the box is accessible via SSH.)
My questions, then:
- What should I be looking at to determine the cause of the service startup failure?
- Would this indeed be likely to cause the problem with NFS described above?
- If the answer to (2) is no, then any suggestions on what to look for?
Editing to add some information relating to the answers below.
It turns out that the network service is failing on bootup because one of the interfaces (there are two on this box) uses DHCP, and that's not available yet at this time. So I've disabled it for now, stopped/restarted the network service and the NFS client services, but still get the same results.
There's no firewall on the client side. Also, iptables -L on the client side shows that everything is accepted; and there are no entries in /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny.
On the NFS server side, nothing has changed. The remote nfsserver is indeed advertising that it allows both TCP and UDP for all of the NFS services (though there is an iptables rule blocking UDP).
/etc/fstab entry is pretty basic - what you'd get from setting it up in yast:
x.x.x.x:/volume /localdir nfs defaults 0 0
rpcinfo -p for the client box shows only portmapper v2 running, advertising both TCP and UDP. For the server, it shows all of the usual services:
program vers proto port 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper 100024 1 udp 4047 status 100024 1 tcp 4047 status 100011 1 udp 4049 rquotad 100021 1 udp 4045 nlockmgr 100021 3 udp 4045 nlockmgr 100021 4 udp 4045 nlockmgr 100021 1 tcp 4045 nlockmgr 100021 3 tcp 4045 nlockmgr 100021 4 tcp 4045 nlockmgr 100005 1 udp 4046 mountd 100005 1 tcp 4046 mountd 100005 2 udp 4046 mountd 100005 2 tcp 4046 mountd 100005 3 udp 4046 mountd 100005 3 tcp 4046 mountd 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
The mount call, with the /etc/fstab entry above, is simply:
although I've also tried it with various options such as tcp, v3, etc.
Both the /etc/fstab entry (hence the mount) and the rpcinfo -p call are using the IP address, so there are no DNS resolution issues involved.