Hi I have network at a school setup with
- pfsense as firewall, router, dhcp and captive portal (for wifi), domain: schoolname.intranet
- zentyal: freeradius, ldap, dc, and dns
clients can't resolve hostnames into ip address, I tried and hostname.schoolname.intranet but neither work.
I wanted to be able to use the hostname in veyon so I can have a master computer (teacher's) being able to see other computers on the network and manage them from that master computer, I wanted to do this using the hostname as opposed to the ip address.
- there are two networks: 10.20.20.x (wired, pfsense: .1, zentyal: .24 ) and 10.30.30.x (wireless)
- client internet connectivity and dns external resolution works fine
- dns server issued through dhcp for dhcp clients is 10.20.20.24 (zentyal server)
- dns forwarder is enabled in pfsense
- zentyal'dns has a forwarder: .1 (pfsense)
if I do
dig <hostname> @<pfsense or zentyal ip> it resolves fine
but if I do
dig <hostname> I get no resolution
here's sample of a hostname: clementesepxx
fcortxx@benedictoxx:~$ dig clementesepxx
; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> clementesepxx ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 4773 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1 ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION: ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;clementeseptimxx. IN A ;; Query time: 0 msec ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53) ;; WHEN: lun jul 25 08:56:39 -05 2022 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 45
here's the ping command for same hostname from the same client
fcortxx@benedictoxx:~$ ping clementeseptimol ping: clementesepxx: Temporary failure in name resolution fcortxx@benedictoxx:~$ ping clementeseptimol.schoolname.intranet ping: clementesepxx.schoolname.intranet: Name or service not known fcortxx@benedictoxx:~$
any guidance or help is appreciate it.
DNS forwarder Service