When using the “Remote Server Administration Tools” on Windows 7 (or Vista), is there a way to make the tools (such as DHCP or DNS) remember servers that I work with on a regular basis?
It is the default behavior of those tools to "forget".
The only way I know of around this is to create a MMC, which is handy because you centralize several tools in one window.
Here is the method I use for having those tools remember your servers:
- Start > Run > mmc.exe
- File > Add/Remove Snap In
- Select DNS, DHCP, Hit "add", click Ok
- Right click DNS, Add Servers
- Right click DHCP, Add Servers
Lastly, you save your new custom Management Console:
- File > Save As > servers.msc
Next time you open servers.msc all of your servers will be there.