I have a cisco-linksys wireless router through which multiple computers/printers and iphones are connected. Also, two switch ports are occupied by a desktop and a ip camera.

I want to connect another 'wired ip camera' to my router, but dont want to run 40ft of wire. Is there a product X (such as a wireless switch) to which I may connect this camera, while the X connects wirelessly to the router?

Something like this.

  • 4
    Frankly, if you want it to be 100% reliable I'd just go buy a 50 foot patch cable and run it. In the long run it'll be cheaper and more reliable. Aug 12, 2010 at 19:43
  • Many jurisdictions require a low voltage license to run ethernet cables. A wireless bridge is one way around that.
    – GregD
    Aug 12, 2010 at 20:03
  • 3
    Pro hint: a "wire" has a single conductor. If it has multiple conductors (multiple wires) it's referred to as a "cable". "Wired" and "wireless" refer to "some" (rather than "one") and "none" respectively. You could say "cabled" but it's rarely used and you'd never (?) say "cable-free" (especially not "cableless"). Aug 12, 2010 at 20:31
  • @GregD: I'd question whether running a prefabricated patch cable counts as running low voltage cable. Where is the line drawn? Running a patch cable over a wall between offices? How about between cubicles in the same room? Between machines on your desk? It's a grey area. All that aside, places that require licensing running lwo voltage cable sound like horrible places to live/work. I think I'd move. Aug 13, 2010 at 14:24
  • @Evan: I should have clarified. Here in Oregon, if you traverse a wall or ceiling panel, which is common in runs of 40FT, it requires a low voltage license. I don't know where the OP lives. I was just pointing out that we all aren't as lucky as most when running a stupid ethernet cable..
    – GregD
    Aug 13, 2010 at 14:41

4 Answers 4


You didn't say what brand wireless router you have, but this is just what the Apple AirPort Express is handy for. Cisco-Linksys, D-Link, and ASUS may have similar products. Note the AirPort Express can inter operate with other non-Apple APs with some effort.

  • I have a cisco-linksys wireless router
    – AM01
    Aug 12, 2010 at 19:54
  • +1 the AirPort Express is perfect for this application. The absurdly simple "Join a wireless network" option on the APE will do exactly what @AM01 wants.
    – Skyhawk
    Aug 12, 2010 at 20:38
  • I was thinking of amazon.com/o/asin/B002LITI7K/3--20 Airport express is a little expensive for me.
    – AM01
    Aug 12, 2010 at 21:06

What you're asking for is a wireless ethernet bridge. There are quite a few of them on the market. The one I've used in the past was made by DLink although it appears to have been discontinued.


Many, many regular consumer wireless routers can do this. You may have to install an after-market firmware such as dd-wrt in order to enable the feature.

Here are the instructions for setting up a wireless bridge configuration with dd-wrt.


There are also exotic HomePlug (networking over powerline) and HPNA (Home Phone Network Adapter) technologies, but they tend to be less-than-rock-solid when compared to wired ethernet. It's a wiring versus performance trade-off...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.