I have wireless router WRT 54GS with DD-WRT and USB printer. I was thinking about installing CUPS on my old WRT and using usb to ethernet converter to connect my usb printer to network.

Only part that I'm missing is which kind of connector to use? Can I use something like this? I'm familiar with kernel, compiling, adding packages on linux, just a bit weak on hw parts :)




You need a Print Server. This acts as a mini computer that you plug the printer into. It handles sharing the printer to the network and spooling print jobs.

  • I know this option, but I'd like to use my existing equipment and not bring another set of wires around. – damir Aug 23 '10 at 14:33
  • 1
    @damir: No, you need a print server ( example ). The adapter you linked to uses a PC which runs a driver for it. Neither the adapter nor the printer have this capability. A print server does. – Dennis Williamson Aug 23 '10 at 15:18
  • @Dennis (or Chris): why couldn't the router act as a print server? (Maybe because there just isn't enough RAM?) And why not some other box on the network? – Gilles Aug 23 '10 at 17:58
  • @Gilles: The router would have to have a USB host port (I've only ever seen device ports on routers). As you know, another computer on the network could certainly act as a print server. You wouldn't need an ethernet adapter - you'd just plug into a USB port on the computer (which in turn would be connected to the network via ethernet). This is very common, as I know you're aware. Presumably, however, the OP wants to locate the printer somewhere that's not near a PC or has some other reason not to do that. – Dennis Williamson Aug 23 '10 at 18:44
  • Router + Print Servers do exist google.com/… but they have a USB port built in. A USB <=> Ethernet dongle will not cut it. – Chris Nava Aug 24 '10 at 3:43

Some WRT54 models have USB ports on them. If yours already has a USB port, then you can install CUPS into DD-WRT and connect the printer, and it will (probably) work. If it doesn't have a USB port, there may be a way to add one, depending on your model.

If not, you'll need a separate piece of hardware. As others have pointed out in comments, a USB to Ethernet converter will not work - it adds a USB NIC to a host, rather than letting a USB device talk over ethernet.

One other thing to be wary of is that your printer may not work with CUPS. Many cheaper USB printers require windows-only drivers, and if yours is in this list then you may be out of luck. Might pay to check that it's supported before going further, eg at www.openprinting.org or at www.cups.org

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.