This is probably a noob question but I have a SMB network with AD domain corp.local and external hosting with a DNS domain corp.co.uk.
As a result if I add web services on an internal machine (like cool-app.corp.co.uk) we can't resolve it internally.
I tried adding a corp.co.uk domain to my DNS servers with no entries in it (expect the SOA created automatically). My understanding was that my server should attempt to resolve x.corp.co.uk within the forward lookup zone and when it cannot just forward the request to the outside world.
But that doesn't happen if I add a primary zone to the server then I can't resolve any corp.co.uk addresses.
If it had worked I'd then have started to add cool-app x.y.z.b etc to the local lookup zone so that those resources on the LAN can be resolved when you're in the office.
My guess is I'm making a silly mistake or that I'm trying to do something the wrong way and I thought the hivemind was the best way to try to find out...