I'm new to Ubuntu Server and am trying to get a basic instance up and running. I'm having some issue installing the GUI (GNOME, correct?) through apt-get.
Host OS: Windows 7 Pro x64
VM App: VirtualBox x64 (latest version)
Network for VM: Bridged to my laptop's wireless card (gets connection fine; tested)
Guest OS: Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Server x64
- I installed Ubuntu Maverick x64 with no problems. However, I didn't set up network connection during install (no connection at the time).
- Edited my
/etc/network/interfacesfile to read the following (may be incorrect):
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
- I edited
/etc/apt/sources.listto remove comments for all repositories except the backport.
- I ran "sudo apt-get update". It appeared to run fine and complete.
- I ran "sudo apt-get upgrade". It appeared to download and upgrade a number of packages.
Whenever I run "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" it gives me an error that the package cannot be found. Same for many other popular packages (gedit, etc.) I have not been able to get a single package to install.
- Does my network interfaces file appear to be correct or did I miss something?
- Is "ubuntu-desktop" the correct package name that I should be searching for?
- Can you think of anywhere else I might have gone wrong?
Update: Error Information
After being informed that I should try "sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment", I tried that, but I got the same error that I've been getting.
The error message, regardless of which package I try to install, continually comes back:
Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done E: Unable to locate package gnome-desktop-environment
This error happens with
gedit, and any other packages I can think of.
Update: sources.list snippets
Because I think it might help, I'm re-typing some of my
sources.list files so you get an idea of what's happening:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list outputs repositories such as:
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick main restricted deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu maverick universe deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick universe