Is there a way to rename a windows service? Not the display name, mind you, the actual name. I can't seem to edit the value in enum\root to be what I want, and there ought to be an easier way, I just can't find it!
IIRC the following worked for me (once):
This is nothing I ever would recommend doing
This is what I did
- open regedit
- navigate to
- Look at the keys in the treestructure inside the left pane and select the service you would like to rename
- Rename the key using the
Renameentry in the Context-Menu
- If there is a subkey named
enumdelete it. It will get recreated the next time the service starts.
- You might want to change the Subkey
DisplayNameaccording to the new service name
- Reboot the machine for changes to take effect
- Pray it did not screw things up