There's a small network that's in 1 building that we want to extend to another building about 75 feet away but running an Ethernet cable is not easily doable. I'd like to extend the network wirelessly but I don't recall ever going from a wired, to a wireless, then back to a wired network as in the image. I need to know what Black box A and Black box B would be if this is even possible. Is there such a thing?

Thanks, alt text


Sure, you can do this. In fact, it's fairly common. There's nothing magical about wireless as a physical network layer.

Normally, it's done with more expensive dedicated wireless networking gear. I don't think consumer wireless router/gateway devices generally have this as an advertised feature, but if you can replace the firmware, you can do this with either DD-WRT or OpenWRT:

  • 1
    Are you kidding me? It's all magical. – Jeff Dec 7 '10 at 19:50
  • Ha! But yeah, the great thing about a layered network model is that the physical layer actually could be magic (or trained pigeons, or whatever), and the stuff on top just works, without any modification. – mattdm Dec 7 '10 at 19:52
  • I think @mattdm is referring to RFC 1149 - Standard for the transmission of IP datagrams on avian carriers (faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1149.html) – JonathanMueller Dec 7 '10 at 19:58

Yes, you are looking for wireless bridging. There are many devices that can do this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.